- The price of wood as a fuel is extremely stability. Biomass fuel prices are very consistent, to the point of almost being flat. Heating oil and propane can have very volatile pricing comparatively.
- If you care about investing in your local economy (and you should), then biomass fuel is the way to go. Instead of paying to some oil processing plant, you’re paying your local timber industry.
- It’s good for the environment. As long as the timber company supplying the biomass replaces what it cuts down, there’s a net zero carbon footprint. Wood pellets and wood chips burn very clean and you can use that ash as a fertilizer.
- Burning biomass opens up more options to your fuel source. You can buy processed premium pellets or wood chips. It’s really your decision. Ash removal is automatic and reduces cleaning to a few hours per month.
- Wood chips require more attention. Unlike fossil fuels and wood pellet, there is a bigger chance of foreign matter getting into the fuel and causing a problem. Since wood pellet is just sawdust that has been compressed together, it’s unlikely to contain foreign matter.
As for cannabis specifically, I don’t know what kind of ash content would be produced. High fiber content tends to burn well, so in theory cannabis should also burn relatively well. And in theory, you could use whatever ash you get for nutrients if you do some remediation on it to make sure it’s balanced.
About Woodmaster and Chuck
As our name implies, our boilers burn wood instead of an oil-based product or natural gas. They’re designed to be completely automated with premium wood pellets (which are produced by compressing sawdust with a binding agent). Because the pellets use a renewable fuel, they are a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way to heat large facilities.
The cannabis industry came to our attention because we’re always looking for industries that require large-scale heating solutions. Every business owner wants to know how to make money and save money, and we’re here to help them save money.
A lot of my friends and extended family saw what I had done, and they wanted one too. And that’s where Woodmaster was born. We started building heating solutions for the home market, but soon realized the commercial market had a vacancy for large-scale biomass fuel.
And beyond that, we pride ourselves on service. We educate every dealer who sells our products on maintenance and troubleshooting, so that no matter where the customer is, they can have a local service person. The product is extremely durable and dependable, and requires minimal cleaning if you’re using premium wood pellets. You can, of course, use green wood and other less “pure” biomass fuel sources, but you will see additional fouling of the equipment.
Why LED Grow Lights Will Give You Greater Cannabis Yields Than Regular LEDsNovember 15, 2018
Beneficial Organism Profile: Assassin BugsNovember 14, 2018
Growers Network’s Beneficials Profile: LacewingsNovember 13, 2018
Canna Cribs Episode 5: Honeydew Farms — Honeydew, CaliforniaNovember 13, 2018
Do you want to receive the next Grower’s Spotlight as soon as it’s available? Sign up below!
Want to get in touch with WoodMaster?
You can reach them via the following methods:
Want to read similar articles? Check these out:
Do you have any questions or comments?
About the Author
Hunter Wilson is a community builder with Growers Network. He graduated from the University of Arizona in 2011 with a Masters in Teaching and in 2007 with a Bachelors in Biology.